Myanmar military readies 17 hospitals in COVID-19 fight
“We haven’t found anyone suspected of the virus yet. The Ministry of Health and Sports called on everyone to report cases related to #COVID19, so we don’t have any reason to withhold information about it.”
Htoo Thant Myanmar Times 23 Mar 2020
NAY PYI TAW, Myanmar – The Tatmadaw (military) is preparing 17 military hospitals across the country in the fight against the COVID-19 that has spread in over 165 countries and territories, killing over 14,700 people, a senior military spokesperson said.
Brigadier General Zaw Min Tun, from Tatmadaw True News Information Team, said the facilities, spread in the various regions and states across the country, are ready in case of an outbreak.
“We have selected 17 hospitals, which will carry out such cooperation,” he said during a press briefing, at the Defence Services Museum, on Sunday.
The military remains a major political force in Myanmar, co-sharing power with the democratically elected government of the Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. It controls all security-related ministries, including the Home Affairs Ministry, which supervises the police force.
Myanmar remains virus-free, but both the civilian and the military leadership are preparing for the worst.
Brigadier General Zaw Min Tun said the military devised a cooperation plan with the people to prevent an outbreak of the virus in the country.
“With this cooperation plan, we will carry out training and coordination, prevention, and treatment,” he said.
He said military officers would cooperate with the health departments in townships in providing prevention training and health education awareness to the people.
Moreover, the Tatmadaw is ready to provide necessary medical services, with a team of five medical staff, consisting of two civilian nurses, and two military nurses, led by a medical officer.
He vowed transparency in reporting COVID-19 cases involving military personnel, or their dependents, adding that so far, no military personnel, and members of their families, are among those investigated for the disease.
“We haven’t found anyone suspected of the virus yet,” he said. “The Ministry of Health and Sports called on everyone to report cases related to COVID-19, so we don’t have any reason to withhold information about it.”
He added the Tatmadaw is taking necessary preventive measures against the virus, postponing the diamond jubilee parade scheduled later in the week. -Translated
From: MYANMAR TIMES, MYANMAR Mon, Mar 23, 2020